Frequently Asked Questions 




Why should I get my Concealed Carry Permit? 

If you plan to carry a handgun, electric weapon (aka tazer), or a billy club concealed, then you need a concealed carry permit.  Even if you don't plan on actively carrying, having a concealed carry permit may be necessary.  Situations such as having a loaded handgun in your vehicle or having a handgun in your pocket while hunting are two of many examples of times when you need a concealed carry permit.


How do I get my Concealed Carry Permit? 

First step is to get trained.  There are several ways to meet the training requirement including taking Merz Firearms LLC's CCW Course.  With proof of training in hand, you can apply online or by mail.  The State of Wisconsin charges $40 for a CCW permit; the permit is good for 5 years.





Can I come in early to fill out paperwork before ordering or before the gun arrives? 



What is the cost of transfering multiple firearms?

If you are transferring mutiple firearms, the second (third, fourth, etc) will be an additional half priced fee.  For example, if you transfer one long gun, the cost is $20.  If you transfer two long guns, the cost is $30 ($20 full price + $10 half price).  If you transfer two handguns, the cost is $45 ($30 full price + $15 half price).  Transfering one handgun and one long gun will be a charge of $40 ($30 handgun + $10 half priced long gun).  This discount only applies to firearms transfered during the same transfer/background check.  


2 Long Gun/Lowers = $30

3 Long Gun/Lowers = $40

4 Long Gun/Lowers = $50

1 Handgun + 1 Long Gun = $40

2 Handgun = $45

2 Handgun + 1 Long Gun = $55

3 Handgun = $60


How do I buy a gun online? 

Buying a gun online is fairly easy and a good way to potentially save money.  Once you find a gun, you will purchase the firearm through the website.  During checkout you will need to locate an FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer.  Merz Firearms LLC is listed with most online retailers; if not, please contact us for a copy of our FFL.  When you purchase the firearm, it will be sent to Merz Firearms LLC.  We will receive the firearm and then contact you to schedule a time to perform the necessary paperwork and background check.  Merz Firearms LLC charges $20 to transfer a long gun (rifle, shotgun, receivers) and $30 for a handgun (the extra $10 goes to the State of WI).  Once you pass the background check, you leave with the firearm.  


Can I mail a firearm? 

US Postal Service: A nonlicensee (meaning someone who does NOT posess an FFL or Federal Firearm License) may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee (FFL) in any state.  Handguns are not mailable via USPS.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922(a)(2)(A)] 


Common Carrier (ie Fedex, UPS): A nonlicensee may ship a firearm to a resident or his or her own state or to a licensee (FFL) in any state.  Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm. 

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFE 478.31 and 478.30]


Exceptions to the above include mailing a firearm interstate to yourself for hunting and moving residence.  Click here for more information:


Can I buy a firearm out of state? 

A person may only purchase/acquire a firearm within their own State, except that he or she may purchase/acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's (FFL) premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.  In many cases, non WI residents can purchase a shotgun/rifle in person with Merz Firearms LLC.    

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922(b)(3), 27 CFW 478.29 and 478.30]


A person may purchase a firearm (including handguns) from an out-of-state source if an arrangement is made with a licensed FFL dealer in the purchaser's State of residence.  If you buy a firearm out of state, send it to Merz Firearms LLC for a transfer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]



Like us on Facebook for news and information on upcoming classes.

(You do not need a Facebook account to view the page)  

Print Print | Sitemap
Thank you for visiting Merz Firearms LLC, South-Central Wisconsin's best value for Concealed Carry Permits in the Rio, WI also serving Portage, WI, Columbus, WI, Fall River, WI, Beaver Dam, WI, Wisconsin Dells, WI, Arlington, WI, Poynette, WI, Baraboo, WI, and the greater Madison, WI area.